Thursday, February 28, 2008

Deirdre Ryan Photography


Deirdre Ryan is originally from the small, historic town of Bordentown, New Jersey. She graduated in 1996 with a BFA in photography from Montserrat College of Art in Beverly, MA. During college, she came to the conclusion that her purpose was photography when she found herself spending so much time in the darkroom.

But she has always loved photography. "Cameras were always a presence in my family. I love to shoot pictures, although it is hard work, and not always financially rewarding. Telling a story through my imagery and preserving images are passions of mine. I cannot remember a time when I said, 'I give up, I hate this, it's not for me.' Even in tough lean times I just couldn't give it up and work in an office."

She loves creating fine art, photo journalistic and funny images. Her current obsession is creating cards. She also has been going back to using film with her Holga camera as well as her Lomo -- a plastic Russian camera with a glass lens. She's excited to have a new archival printer that will allow her to create panoramic prints that are 13 inches wide and "however long she chooses."

Her inspirations come from her life and "odd" sense of humor. "I have a beautiful family that makes me want to get stuff done," she says with a big grin. Deirdre donates portions of her sales to benefit multiple schlerosis research and maintains a blog on positive thinking. She now lives in Los Angeles with her husband, daughter, Jayden, and the family dog. Deirdre is a proud member of the Los Angeles Chapter of the American Society of Media Photographers and the Stock Artist Alliance, both of which help photographers understand the business of photography and how to maintain their copyrights.

3 comments:

Tresijas said...

I love reading these features. Our teammates are so interesting and Dierdre is no exception!

palleikodesigns said...

Another fabulous feature!

photoadele said...

thank you for this lovely story about me and m y work!