Thursday, December 27, 2007

Peg Grady Art



Peg Grady likes to make stuff. She loves searching out witty quotes, which she often uses in her art. She enjoys the whole creative process (except the cleaning up afterwards part).

Born in 1950, she grew up in Queens, New York. "I was the typical city kid," she says. "I travelled on the subways into Manhattan, went to the museums, although when was a kid I appreciated the dinosaurs at the Museum of Natural History much more than the Renoirs at the Metropolitan. Went to the New York City public schools, hung out in Greenwich Village, dropped in and out of NYU and City University of NY, taking classes I wanted and skipping (and flunking) required courses"

When she was 25, she left New York for California, where she held some very interesting jobs: "I've been a secretary, written horoscopes, sold advertising, waited tables, written commercials, typed police reports and been a prison guard. And all the while, I dabbled in art."

Like many of us, at age 40 Peg decided it was time to stop messing around and do what she wanted to do. "I dropped back into college and finally got it together. I painted. An artist friend advised me to 'paint as if it was your last gig.' And that's what I do when I'm making something...experimenting, revising, testing out different ideas, exploring color, shape and textures, playing with my materials until I'm either satisfied that I've got a good piece, or so disgusted with the whole mess I throw it out, leave the studio and go home."

Peg lives with her partner, Don. They have a tiny house on 13 acres, covered with oaks and pines, two seasonal ponds, inhabited by blue jays and herons and woodpeckers, eight cats, deer, bobcats and wild turkeys that will eat out of her hand. "Sometimes I walk outside and wonder how a girl from New York City ended up here. I paint. I embroider. I sew. Life is good."

You can see more of her work at peggradyart.com.

2 comments:

Peggradyart said...

Wow...now I feel famous! Thanks so very much for this fabulous write-up!

Bobster1985 said...

Ms. Grady is far too modest about her life achievements. She was not born in 1950, but in fact in 1897. In 1928 she became the first female to fly across the Atlantic. Her life took a dramatic turn when her plane crashed during an around-the-world flight in 1937. A period of amnesia followed, not ending until 1950 when she adopted her current identity. As her much-younger brother, I'm very proud of Am- er, Peg. I have a number of her artworks in my apartment in Honolulu.