Thursday, August 25, 2011

One Sheet Wonders and Writer's Block

Let's face it -- I'm a sporadic blogger.

But for those of you who do make it by, I thought I'd post a little bit about what I've been working on. It's a part of Stampin' Up! culture and it's called a One Sheet Wonder. The idea is that you take one sheet of 12x12 patterned paper -- or Designer Series Paper (DSP) in Stampin' Up! lingo -- and cut it into something like 16 assorted rectangles and squares (I used a template by Jennifer Taylor which you can find here) and then make it into cards. This approach is powerful, since many card artists will tell you that one of the hardest things they have to do in their work is make the first cut into a gorgeous 12x12 sheet of designer paper. It can be like writer's block in a way -- that blank (or in this case, printed) page staring back at you waiting to be turned into something -- with the potential, in the right hands, to become wonderful.

Some people try to make all 16 cards in one hour, but I try to design each card one by one as a unique art piece rather than make as many cards as I can in as short a time as I can, which is a challenge of another sort.

So far, I've made three sets of three cards each using a retired DSP called Botanical Gazette. The paper I chose has olive green butterflies and moths on a dotted green background.



Here's what I've done so far -- hope you enjoy the cards, and maybe decide to try your own One Sheet Wonder challenge. To visit my Etsy shops and find out more about the cards, just click on any of the photos. Thanks!

Birthday Card Set









Thinking of You Card Set










Friendship Card Set









16 comments:

Dana said...

Ah ha! This explains the influx of adorable butterfly-themed cards. Keep them coming, Carol -- I can't wait to see what you come up with next!

VisionQuest said...

great work!!
simple yet very effective- really NICE!!
:o)

sophienme said...

So cool! I have the template saved an may have to try it now. Love that u don't waste paper-I hate wasting paper!

Yolanda M. said...

Cool to see a bit of process behind the cards. Lovely selection you made there!

Cisne said...

This is a great technique I will have to try out. I like that you use every piece. I get anxiety just to think of waisting such pretty paper.

Bella said...

Lovin the cards!!

Nancy Trujillo said...

Beautiful creations. Love what you have done!

Nancy Trujillo said...

Beautiful creations! Love what you have done and how you explained the process!

Brooke said...

This is a great challenge and you made some lovely things with that paper!

Anonymous said...

wow, this was so fun to read and delightful creations too.
linda
whimsicals

lilgreenshop said...

Always nice to get a glimpse behind the creative process!
Love the color combo you used.

Ankhs said...

Loved the way you've created so much beauty with one sheet of DSP! Yep, I am one of those people that hyperventilate at the very thought of cutting - thus destroying - beautiful paper... My solution is simple: buy at least ONE pack -one for using, one for keeping... LOL

Handmade in Israel said...

These are delightful! What a fun challenge. You did a great job.

Adorebynat said...

Beautiful cards!!

And I thought I was one of few people who have a hard time making the first cut of gorgeous papers.

Holey Gwackamoley! said...

Nice blog Quirk! It's nice to get a tutorial of sorts. (I have no idea how to make these so I leave the designs up to the professionals like you!
Love, Jules

Holey Gwackamoley! said...

What a nice blog Quirk! Aha, now I love getting a tutorial of sorts (I don;t hav a clue how to make these so I leave it up to the professionals like you!) Keep up the good work!
Love, Jules